Solutions to improve the quality of life

University - DSA funding & sources of UK information

Going to university?

In the first instance contact your Local Education Authority, they have specialist advisers and support information to help deaf and hearing impaired students

Information on UK student finance and maintenance loans is on the DirectGov website here. Specific DSA information from DirectGov can be found here.

Another website worth a visit is the student loans company who offer advice on student loans and finance for students from England.

For students from Scotland: Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

For students from Wales: Student Finance Wales

For students funded by the NHS: NHS Student Bursaries

For students studying with the Open University

The National Deaf Children's Society have a host of general information (you will need to use the site search facility) on their website

The National Union of Students have information to help disabled students and some colleges and universities have a specific disabled student's representative. Click here for more information from the NUS.

UCAS also have some helpful information on where to start with the DSA on their site here.

The Birkdale Trust for Hearing Impaired gives grants to deaf young people. The main aims of this charity are to improve the education of children and young people, particularly those with a hearing impairment

If you feel that a College or University is discriminating contact the Disability Rights Commission

Applying for funding under the Disabled Students Allowance?

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) provide extra financial help for disabled students. You may get DSAs if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia. Find out more about the DSA on the website.

There are several stages in getting DSA funding.


Step 1 – Tell Student Finance England about your disability

You can do this by completing one of the forms downloadable from the website.


Step 2 – Find out what equipment and support you need

If you are eligible for DSA, Student Finance England will write to you, asking you to arrange a Needs Assessment for equipment and support. The Assessor will then prepare a report recommending some assistive equipment. Usually at this stage, the Assessor will approach Connevans and ask us to prepare a quote for the equipment they are recommending, a copy of which will be included in their report.

Step 3 – Get your equipment and support

Once Student Finance England have received your Needs Assessment Report, they will send you an agreement letter, listing the equipment and other support your DSAs will cover. This letter will look like the image on the right. You will need to send us a copy of this letter, along with a copy of the report your Assessor did, if you have it. The particularly useful bit for us is the Q00009999 number which is the reference for the Quotation we did for the Assessor at Step 2. You will also need to include your contact details and delivery address for the equipment - bear in mind that there will need to be someone in to sign for the package. Without this letter, we are unable to proceed with your order.

You can send a copy of the funding approval letter to us however is easiest for you:

By Email:
By Fax:  01737 223475
By Post: Connevans Limited, Bridge House, 1 Nutfield Road, Merstham, Surrey, RH1 3EB

On-site Training & Set up Support Visits

If your Assessor recommended a set-up and training session for the assistive equipment, then we will be in touch to arrange this with you. We will ask you to complete a standard questionnaire which gives our trainer extra information about you, your situation and your hearing instruments. The trainer will then contact you directly to arrange a time and place convenient to you - please note, we can't do training sessions at private addresses but usually your university will have a spare room we can use. We generally send the equipment out a week or so before the training session, to give you some time to familiarise yourself with it beforehand.

Click here to contact us about a training visit
Click here for more information about our Training Visits


Not received your letter yet?

If you have been assessed for DSA funding but not yet received one of these letters, the decision about your funding may not have been made yet. You could get in touch with your funding body to see how far they have got with processing your order. Unfortunately, we cannot process your order until you have received confirmation that you have been approved funding via a letter from Student Finance England (or equivalent funding body)


Tops tips for students:

1. Make sure that the assessor knows the exact make and model of your hearing instruments. You’d be surprised how many come to us for a radio aid to go with ‘2 x digital hearing aids’

2. Make sure that you know what programs your hearing aid has – most radio aids require the ‘FM’ program and if you don’t already have it, you’ll need to visit your audiologist

3. Ask for a training visit to be included – this will make sure you know how to make the most of the advanced equipment you’re being provided with.

4. Do some research beforehand. If you have used a system at school and you’re happy with it, or if there is a new system on the market that you’d like – make sure you know the details and let the assessor know. It might not be suitable or possible but if you don’t ask…

5. Don’t forget to talk to your Disability Advisor or Student Support Service about any other equipment you might need as part of your daily life at university. For example, an accessible fire alarm should be provided for you in residential accommodation.

6. MOST IMPORTANTLY – while you’re still at school and have the support of a TOD, try to learn as much about your hearing aids and radio aids. You won’t always have the fantastic support teachers provide so make the most of the opportunity and take control of your own assistive equipment.

If you have any questions about DSA, how it works, what sorts of equipment are provided and anything else, please contact Connevans on 01737 247571 or


To find this page again, search for: FAQUNI

Connevans Limited
Bridge House
1 Nutfield Road
Merstham, Surrey, RH1 3EB
United Kingdom
Customer Service
01737 247571
01737 644016
01737 223475
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0